A Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is the publicly available document that contains all the official information (e.g., goals, deadline, eligibility, reporting) about a federal grant. An FOA is how a federal grant-making agency announces the availability of a grant, and it provides instructions on how to apply for that grant.
What are some other key elements of an FOA?
- Program purpose, goals, and measurement
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number for grant program
- Type of award (e.g., discretionary grant or cooperative agreement)
- Due date for grant applications
- Funding opportunity number
- Reporting requirements
Where Do I Find Funding Opportunity Announcements?
On Grants.gov. Go to the Search Grants tab, then use the keyword search or search criteria to find an FOA that might fit your mission. Federal agencies may also post FOAs on their websites, but Grants.gov provides a consolidated search for all the grant-making agencies.