When you receive an unprompted call or email that promises money in exchange for a fee or your personal information, do not give the scammer your money or information.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) recently published a helpful resource, and we wanted to share three facts that will help you avoid becoming a grant scam victim:
(1) “No government grant-making agency will make phone calls or send emails or letters to solicit money or personal banking information from a potential grant recipient.”
(2) “There are no processing fees for federal grants.”
(3) “Federal grants are not issued for personal use, but are intended for institutions and non-profits to carry out projects with a public purpose”
What Should You Do?
(1) Share this post with any family, friends, or clients you think may be susceptible to such scams.
(2) Learn more about grant fraud and scams to better protect yourselves and others: